Help, My hens are killing the chicks they are hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hholzschu, Jul 16, 2018.

1. hholzschu

hholzschu Chirping

May 23, 2012
    Michigan
    So this year I had two old lady birds decide to sit on a nest in my barn. Because I was in a old stall I'm not using I decided to let them. Both took up residentcy on the same nest...So I had roughly 12 eggs then they started missing...I thought maybe something was snatching them. Then there were nine eggs and it stayed that way for a long time so I never paid it much thought again. Then all of a sudden I was down to 7, 6, 5 and yesterday 4. Now last night before I went to bed I saw a crack in an egg and it was chirping so this morning early I went out and sure enough I had a baby chick. All of a sudden those two lady birds went after that baby with a vengence! So I pulled the baby and now it's a brooder I threw together in a half hour in my basement. We have hatched multiple times so I have all the equipment. It appears fine and I put a small stuffed animal in there to keep it company. I was just checking on it and it's alert and appears unharmed by the old ladies. No here is my problem! What do I do about the other eggs? Do I take a chance and try my incubator and wonder if I have the temp and humidity right for a end hatch cycle or do I just try my best to check and steal the babies as they hatch??? Help! I don't need more chickens but I don't want this poor baby to be alone either.

ronott1 likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would remove the most aggressive hen from the nest and allow the other to keep setting - monitoring closely. I have had varying degrees of success when hens co brood on a nest.

3. hholzschu

hholzschu Chirping

May 23, 2012
    Michigan

4. hholzschu

hholzschu Chirping

May 23, 2012
    Michigan
    So should I pull the other eggs and incubate them and hope they hatch or let them hatch under a bird and hope I get to them quick enough?

5. hholzschu

hholzschu Chirping

May 23, 2012
    Michigan
    At least the baby looks good

Attached Files:

6. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Put them into the incubator.