Help My Hens Are Lesbians!!!!

pattgal

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
New Brunswick, Canada
I never thought I would see this. while i was cleaning out the old hay One of my red hens mounted another
ep.gif

out here there is no mention of breed. when we order they ask red or white. they are not as dark as a RIR but still red
I don't know what's going on but I have 14 red hens (none of them stand out) and 13 eggs a day.
two of them only started laying about a week ago so I was hoping for my 14th anytime now. Am i gonna get it?
I am puzzled because I had a real rooster in there not that long ago and there was no squabbling
what's going on????

Last edited:
If you took the rooster out then you just have a dominant hen stepping up to take his place in the pecking order. No worries, it is completely normal.
smile.png

it's just a dominance thing, no big deal. plenty of other animals in the world do similar acts to just pin the other down and determine who the boss is. if they were primates like baboons then you could be right though lol.

Wow! Get it on video. i'm sure there is a market for a kinky chicken video.
lau.gif
Just kidding. But seriously the hen that did the mounting is more than likely playing the dominate roll in your flock. She is essentially taking place as the roo in charge of her flock where there is no roo. Don't worry I'm pretty sure it is natural and nothing to worry about.

Quote:
You're doing good to get 13, not due to this behavior either. The ladies will generally lay an egg a day about 6 days a week. You just have them alternating their day off
wink.png
Also, perfectly normal. 13 eggs a day for 14 hens, is a very good rate of lay.
smile.png

I don't think the 14th hen will stop laying, but she may even let out a wanabe crow or two. Just because there are 14 hens won't mean 14 eggs a day, every now and then one will take a day off.

My Lucy (Rhode Island Red) does that as well. I haven't had a rooster around so I figure it is just that but it does look weird indeed.
ep.gif

my wheaten oegb hen does it to the others. shes the only bantam! try to imagine that! a small hen on big hens. also she crows once in a while. although, around the time she crows there are no eggs.

Back
Top Bottom