Help, my hens are not laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenmom1, Oct 31, 2010.

1. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Well, this time last year the girls were still really putting out. Now I ordered 36 new babies in the spring, who probably won't lay until this coming spring and I have 16 2-3 yr old hens who are laying about 1 egg (all together) every other day when last year they were putting out about 10 per day. The babies have integrated nicely. Very little pecking order problems. I am feeding layer crumbles and layer pellets and was planning on just using the pellets. I know that the light is going out in the day a lot earlier, but could that be the problem now that they are a little older or maybe I have another snake problem. Is it unusual that they are laying so little now? Help, I want my girls to be happy.
    J

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Fourteen hours of light a day is what they say works. I have a timer and a light that goes on before it gets light in the morning and before it gets dark it goes on again. When did you get your chicks this spring? I got line in may and got my first egg yesterday. Maybe you should try the light. Not sure where you are at but here this time of year snakes are not an issue because of the weather change.

3. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    funny you should say first egg. I think I got my first egg today from my babies. I got mine on June 14th. MacMurray really screwed up. I got a white egg and I ordered a brown egg layer mix. I'll try the light, but the old girls should be laying I think. thanks.
    J

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by