HELP! My hens comb is shrinking!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Flock Master64, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Today when I went to bring my free range flock some water I picked my white leghorn to bring her over to the waterer and I noticed her comb was significantly smaller. It's usually hanging over her eye but now it's so small it doesn't hang over the side of her face anymore. She is not currently laying and she is molting maybe that played a facor?

[​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    During periods of non-production a hen's comb will often "shrink" -- it may appear small, shriveled, dry and pale (or any combination thereof). The appearance of comb/wattles is one of the factors considered when evaluating a flock for production.

1 person likes this.
  3. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Will she be ok and will it go back to normal? And what do you mean by non-production

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    "production" in relation to hens refers to actively producing eggs -- a hen that is in a non-productive state is not laying whether due to broodiness, age, health, molt, etc. When she returns to production her comb and wattles will return to the condition seen in a productive bird.

1 person likes this.
  5. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Ok, thank you so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by