HELP! My hens have "herpes" looking like warts on their combs.

PineAcresFarm

Hatching
Oct 1, 2022
Does anyone know what these warts could be from? I just noticed them this morning on some of my hens.

Attachments

• Herpes Hen.jpeg
    Herpes Hen.jpeg
    480.8 KB · Views: 35
Does anyone know what these warts could be from? I just noticed them this morning on some of my hens.
Mosquito season (depending on where you live) but here in FL (especially after an already wet summer, then hurricane dumped all it's water on us) they are bad right now so fowl pox is rampant it seems this year. Oral doses of just olive oil with some oregano oil mixed in are great to help give their immune system (pipette or dropper (about 1/2 cc or a little more directly by mouth). It effects chicks worse than adults, but adults can still be a little less peppy than usual. And as for the "herpes" look fowl pox is caused by a herpes virus (only avain species can get it). It'll run it's course through your flock and once they've had it, it's like any other herpes virus, it will appear if they're stressed but you may never see it again in those birds that are already infected. Not much can be done topically but you can try the olive oil/oregano mixture on their affected areas too. It'll go away in a few weeks (per bird). Hope it clears up soon.

I know my daughter always asks why God created mosquitos (since they're carriers of so many diseases). I always tell her he had to give the dragonflies something to eat. 🤷‍♀️

Yep mine are getting over it. Showed up a few weeks ago. They’ve been “cooped” up more because we were working on the deck and didn’t let them range out of their tractor. Once I noticed the fowl pox I kept them contained longer so the ducks wouldn’t be affected. The worst of them is looking much better (aside from the fact she’s also molting) so hopefully I can let them out to forage again soon. Just let it run it’s course. Give vitamins to boost immune system and keep an eye on them. Could also give some cooked egg.

Back
Top Bottom