Help my hens keep loosing their features

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nrseifert, Apr 27, 2016.

1. nrseifert

nrseifert New Egg

Apr 3, 2016
    My hens have been loosing their features for months. I don't remember what kind they are. Four are red, and one is black and white speckled. They weigh about 7-8 pounds and are 1 year old. They still lay almost an egg a day. They stared loosing their features in December or January. I have used diatomaceous earth several times in the coop and on the chickens. I have been putting Cider vinegar and garlic in the water in case it was mites. Feather loss is mainly on their backs, however it has started on their crop area also. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] I believe they are feather picking/eating. Do all five birds show the feather loss? Do an on site search on 'Pin Less Peepers'. They can be used to break this bad habit which may be a result of boredom.

3. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    That is sometimes cause if they don't have enough space. 5 chickens should have a run of at least 40 sq ft, 8 per bird, preferably more.

4. nrseifert

nrseifert New Egg

Apr 3, 2016
    They have 32 sq ft.

5. nrseifert

nrseifert New Egg

Apr 3, 2016
    I just ordered pinless peepers. Are they difficult to put on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by