help my hens picked at my rooster until he is bloody

jessaw1981

Chirping
9 Years
May 30, 2010
Franklin Nc
Hi everyone ,
I have 2 questions #1 I have 13 about 16 week old hens 1 16 week old turkey 2 fully growno hens 8 12 old hens and got 1 16 week old rooster put him in and they pecked his back really bad and made it bleed how do I keep them.from doing this without clipping there beak. I do not wanna do that.
#2 I have the sweetest blood Jou.d just at a year old we have had him for about 3 mo. never bothered my chickens they all dust bathed in his lot paied right beside him and never did a thing to them at all. then came my husbands cousin took a chicken to the dog and let it flop his face and he killed one with in a couple of hrs. all together 4 I like to let them free run but can't because I'm afraid he will get them be size they think the dog wont hurt them. The dog is tied up but howdo I break him any ideas on theses would help out a lot thanks.
Jessa

Hi
I hope you have taken him out of the pen until he can heal.. If you just put him in with the flock, they were not use to him, and he was to young to stand up for himself and there were to many of them.....put him in a cage inside their pen. They will become familiar with him...plus if you can let him get a little bigger, that will help. After a week or so, let him out and watch and see what happens. With size and age, he should become the ruler of the roost.

About the dog....not good. A dog can and will kill a full grown chicken. I have heard of ways to break this...but I have not tried any.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom