1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! My hen's tongue is hanging out under her beak.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by morgannieee, Oct 25, 2015.

1. morgannieee

morgannieee New Egg

Oct 25, 2015
    Today I noticed that my lovely hen was injured. Her tongue was hanging out underneath her beak. This is my first time owning chickens, so I have no idea what to do. [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of her.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I have seen pictures of this before here on BYC, perhaps from an injury or wound to the bottom of the beak. Can you see an injury or opening? I will look and try to find the thread I had seen before, and get back to you.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm having trouble finding the thread. I did find one where a chicken swallowed her tongue. I would try to get her to a vet tomorrow. If that isn't possible, you could get the tongue back in place, and try to heal, suture, or super glue the opening so that it will close. Can she eat and drink? You could make a mash of her feed with water so that she is getting some nourishment. Please update us tomorrow.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How is your hen?

5. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Op, is your hen getting on alright?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by