Help- My Husband ran over our 14 day old Muscovey duckilng with a chair!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Teesha, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Teesha

Teesha New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    hELP- my husband ran over our 14 day old Muscovey Duckling with an office chair- its toes are turning black and there is like a giant pea sized blood blister on one to and the nails have a redish ting
    I have applied cold and heat packs alternatively and the vets dont treat ducks and are closed anywyas.
    I am not sure about the leg, it seems to be bruised as well.
    I am thinking of splinting it and using some tumeric as an antienflamitory
    any adive? I am beside myself- we raised both our babies from the egg as pets as their Mums were bad:(
    Teesha

2. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    just apply him cold packs not too cold
    if red blood spots under skin do not touch them it hurts
    give him a small dose of pain killer (very small)
    he is bending because of pain or cold keep him in a warm place and apply ice pac after some time

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Make an epsom salts compress and wrap that around the legs and feet for several minutes two or three times a day.

Don't let the duck eat or drink epsom salts, it is a laxative.

compress:

Clean strip of cloth, 4" x 8" more or less or clean paper towels
    1/2 cup of lukewarm water
    2 tablespoons Epsom salts
    unbreakable bowl about two inches deep

Dissolve the Es in the water in the bowl. Soak the cloth or paper towels, lightly wring it out, and wrap gently around the foot and leg. If possible, hold the bowl so that the foot rests in it during the soak.

You may need two people to do this.

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I'd hold off using any more heat for a couple days--for at least the first two or so days it is good to ONLY use ice packs.
    http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sportsmedicine/a/iceorheat.htm
    http://consumer.healthday.com/encyclopedia/article.asp?AID=645144

I'd guess that you could externally treat the injury similarly to one of that type on a person. You could also give aspirin after the internal bleeding has been stopped a good while. Maybe wait 1 day?? There is dosing info on the Poultry Podiatry page linked in my sig below.

I'd also try to confine the duckling to a small space as much as practical where it feels relaxed so it rests & moves it feet as little as possible while they heal.

Very sorry for the accident! Those things happen with all of us [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  5. Teesha

Teesha New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    Thanks everyone for helping:)
    Have used a cotton wool splint to help her to walk and she seems to be OK appart from being a little sookie- I will try the epsom salts compress! and the cold packs seem to do the trick, It seems to be mostly the foot where there are some bloodblister looking things along the toes but I have checked and it isn't broken so that is good. So just keeping her quiet and giving lots of hugs.
    Her 21day old friend is hanging with her as she is sookie form eating a bee yesterday and getting stung in the mouth- not a good weekend for us I am afraid after Hubby got mauled by a feral cat on Friday!
    But hopefully that is our 3 bad things done for a while!
    Thanks agian for your help and I look forward to getting to know you all!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by