Help! my incubator has packed up

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sarahmichelle86, Nov 12, 2014.

1. sarahmichelle86

sarahmichelle86 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2014
    Hi there, I have 3 white Campbell eggs that started off as 6, 2 were infertile 1 quit at day 6 I went up a few hours ago to discover my incubators temperature was going up and down and I couldn't stabilise it, I have a back up brinsea mini eco which I've plugged in and raised temp to 37.6 I have transferred eggs over into incubator and shut off other one, have I deemed my eggs to die I know your meant to run an incubator in for a while but with the other one going up and down every few secs I didn't want to risk leaving them in there they are still hearts beating away and no sign yet of any damage any advice greatly appreciated.

2. sarahmichelle86

Nov 12, 2014
    Any help guys much appreciated

3. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

I am not an expert on incubation however from what you describe I doubt you have done any harm. You may have, in fact, saved their little lives. So just keep an eye on the new incubator and make sure it maintains the correct temp and humidity. I have an incubator and plan on using it this spring for my Cayuga eggs but I also live way out in the country and evertime there is a hickup in the atmosphere we loose power. So, I am worried about that. But someone here pointed out that even the mother when sitting gets up now and then to eat and drink water or to shift the eggs around.

4. sarahmichelle86

Nov 12, 2014
    Thank you for your reply, this is my first attempt at duck eggs and fingers crossed these last three survive :/

5. sarahmichelle86

Nov 12, 2014
    They made it through the night so fingers crossed they all survive

6. jtn42248

So happy to hear that and thank you for keeping us posted.[​IMG]I know that I tend to worry a lot more than I should about my birds. They seem to be fully capable of taking care of things if I just provide food, shelter and some affection. Hatching eggs is a challenge but all you could do is what you did and it was a success. How many days until hatching begins?

7. sarahmichelle86

Nov 12, 2014
    Still got a while yet 2 weeks, so anything could happen I guess I'm so excited/nervous glad to know I'm not the only worryer :)

8. Kleonaptra

Kleonaptra Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like you've got it under control. Ive been freaking out about losing power and wondering what Id do, I decided I probably shouldnt touch the eggs right away as a mother duck leaves her nest a couple of times a day and a switched off bator will maintain them for awhile. Fingers crossed for you, Ive hatched 3 ducklings this year and I just candled my next lot - 5 in the bator on day 14 looking good. No bodies moving in there, which I dont like, but theres viening and shadowy duck heads! 2 of my hatches from the last lot were surprise 'maybe' eggs so who knows!

9. jtn42248

I asked because there is a BYC member that I read a thread on recently that had abandoned goose eggs that she incubated under a desk lamp the last couple of weeks and they made it. So these birds (chickens, ducks and geese) are more resilient, even in the shell, then we can imagine. A little human interaction and concern is all it takes.

10. sarahmichelle86

Nov 12, 2014
    Oh wow that is interesting well done to them for hatching those goose eggs, im such a newby at this and terrified if they hatch only one will survive and it will be lonely i should have done a larger lot of eggs to maybe get a better hatch rate but hey there is always a next time i guess, fingers crossed i get 3 happy ducklings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by