Help my incubator was unplugged!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peakpoultry, Apr 20, 2009.

1. peakpoultry

peakpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Marana, Arizona
    I checked on my incubator about 9:00 last night and all was well, I checked on it about 6 this morning and it was unplugged, the dog must have ran behind where it's plugged in. The temp was down to 87 degrees, I plugged it back in and it went right back to 100 degrees. Are my eggs going to be ok?????

2. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    what day were you on? There is a good chance that they will still be ok. It can't hurt to try

3. peakpoultry

Mar 25, 2009
    Marana, Arizona
    Quote:They are only about a week and a half in.

4. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I bet they will be alright if it only went down to 87*F. That's not too cold to really cause damage.

Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  5. peakpoultry

Mar 25, 2009
    Marana, Arizona
    Quote:I hope so!! Thank you for the info..

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    They should be fine, might delay the hatch, but probably not. Momma hens get off the eggs regularly, and no harm is done.

Happy hatching!

7. peakpoultry

Mar 25, 2009
    Marana, Arizona
    Quote:That's true! Hopefully everything will be ok, this will be my first hatch and I'm trying to do everything right. [​IMG]

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Info on power outages during Incubation.
    From- A Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow

The more valuable your hatching eggs are, the more likely it is that the electricity will go out during incubation. If you have an uninterruptable power source (UPS) for your computer or other electronic equipment, consider disconnecting the usual equipment and using the UPS to power your incubator. If the outage comtinues beyond its capacity to keep your incubator running, or you don't have an UPS, open the incubator and let the eggs cool until the power goes back on.

Trying to keep the eggs warm is likely to cause abnormal embryo development. Furthermore, if you close the vents or wrap the incubator with blankets in your attempt to keep eggs warm, a greater danger than temperature loss is oxygen deprivation. Developing embryos use up oxygen rather rapidly, and the oxygen level may soon fall below that necessary to keep them alive.

As soon as the power goes back on, close the incubator and continue operating it as usual. The effect of the outage on your hatch will depend on how long the power was out and on how long the eggs had been incubated before the outage. A power failure of up to 12 hours may not significally affect the hatch (except to delay it somewhat), especially if the outage occurred during the early incubation, when cooled embryos naturally tend to go dormant. Embryos that are close to term generate enough heat to carry them through a short-term outage.

I would continue the hatch and candle in a few days to see how it's doing. Don't give up yet! [​IMG]

9. peakpoultry

Mar 25, 2009
    Marana, Arizona
    Quote:Great information! Thanks, I will candle them in a few days and go from there. [​IMG]

10. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    So how did your hatch go?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by