Help. My jap bantam Roo is choking.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazyduckwoman, Oct 8, 2016.

1. crazyduckwoman

crazyduckwoman Just Hatched

Oct 8, 2016
    My JPanese bantam Roo seems to have something stuck in his throat, found like this after twenty minutes after scratch grains were thrown out to them. Keeps stretching his neck up to breathe, every now and then he coughs and splutters trying to get it up. Has drank a heap of water. I have him isolated inside in the warm. Can I give him paraffin liquid to help oil it down? Any other suggestions welcomed please?

Another one did die two days ago but she was three or four years old and appeared to just die in her sleep, with no prior symptoms. I don't think it's related. I am sure he is choking on something.
    Alex.

2. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    how is your roo?

3. crazyduckwoman

Oct 8, 2016
    [​IMG]. Now he has coughed up a chunk of flesh!!! Still calm, not distressed but has coughed a few blood streaks on his newspaper. Stopped gurgling but still stretching neck to breathe. He's my favorite. I don't want to cull him. Doesn't seem in pain.

4. crazyduckwoman

Oct 8, 2016
    Another Roo found sick in same pen just now. One eye running lethargic and didn't run from me as usual, was sitting in corner head down. Also having trouble breathing, opening beak and sounds constricted. Help me please I have no idea what's going on here.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That does not sound very promising...Check out The Chicken Chick...I think you will find what info you need there...Sour crop...

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by