Help! My kids found a goose egg...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ecuador5, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Ecuador5

Ecuador5 New Egg

Apr 2, 2011
    My sons found a goose egg lying on the side of the street by our pond (out in the open). We brought it home, have it under a heat lamp, hand turning every 4 hrs. I am just not sure if it's any good or not. With candling there is a good sized dark spot on one side of the egg (if it's standing on end) It also has little dark spots on the same side with more spots appearing all around (all inside). If it's growing, should the dark area be suspended in the center of the egg? My boys have been so great at taking care of this egg, but if it's not alive, I don't want them wearing themselves out for nothing.

What should I do? ~ Mary

2. shellrae7

shellrae7 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    Mary, If it's growing you should see veins along the inside of the shell. Dark spots could mean rotten egg, unless it is a big amount of dark, filling the whole egg, that would mean the egg has been incubated before you found it and somehow got dragged out of the nest.
    You need a thermometer, and try to get the temperature at 99.5 degrees. And high humidity. Get a bowl of water right in next to it and set it on wet towls.

Google Goose egg incubation and read up on what you find.

Also if there is development, you can see movement in the egg as early as a week. the Embryo sort of "swims" in the egg.

Good luck!

3. madrooster

madrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    villa rica ,ga
    x2

4. Ecuador5

Ecuador5 New Egg

Apr 2, 2011
    Thanks! I have been keeping a wet cloth under the egg as well. I really think it's not good because the darkest part seems to be stuck to the side of the egg, but we will give it some more time to see if there are any positive changes. I put my indoor/outdoor thermometer in with the sensor against the egg so I could get an accurate temp. So far, it doesn't smell bad, we'll just have to see what happens.

Thanks again

5. emmie2004

emmie2004 New Egg

Mar 20, 2016
    It's probably rotten, sorry. That was very nice of your boys, but it's illegal to have a wild goose egg in your possession[​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by