HELP- my last chick is very weak

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lzufelt, Feb 16, 2015.

1. lzufelt

lzufelt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    My last two chicks #14 and #15 came out very weak. #14 died in the incubator belly aide up and #15 that was helped out of the egg is very weak. He has she'll and membrane still attached to him! His chirp sounds strong but I don't know what to do!?

Someone please help me ASAP!

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    if the bellybutton is moist put flour on it, dip it's beak in yolk water. good luck.

[​IMG]
    this chick was born by its self and I had to give it sips of yolk water, it didn't learn to eat grains till the other chicks hatched a week later.
    the baby and the avatar are not related.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  3. lzufelt

Jan 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Done and done! Can I give my other (13) chicks the yolk water as well?

1 person likes this.
  4. lzufelt

Jan 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    #15 (Jude) is still fighting AND he is eating! I dunked his beak in water as I did with the others but I haven't seen him go back to the dish. He hasn't grown any down and still have some shell stuck to him. I was thinking tomorrow after work I would get a spray bottle and try again to have it come off. Also, one of his wings seems to have formed in the wrong direction. It looks more like an arm than a wing? And on both of his feet the outside row is curled under. It makes it very hard for him to walk. I read that you can add straws to hold them out??
    Any ideas why this could of happened? (Shell to small?)

Oh and his chirp is VERY strong!!!

Thank you again for any input! Jude is fighting and so am I!!

5. lzufelt

Jan 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Jude is still very small, even a week and a half later. It does not look like her has grown at all even though the others are all twice- three times his size.

I came home from work today and I noticed that he was limping :( actually breaks my heart. The others are not picking on him as they treat the others the exact same but he is just so small that when he gets pushed or even stepped on he goes right to the ground.

I've grown really attached to him. Does anyone have any suggestions to help him?

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I am glad he is hanging in there. I have put chicks together diff ages
    [​IMG]
    but in small groups maybe that would help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by