Help, my Light Brahma was attacked by her coop mates

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wyogirl, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I have a total of 39 birds , big coop, and big run. Today my DH called and said he found a bloody egg then noticed the LB butt was being picked at by the other hens, he separated her and when i got home, poor hen was peckedvery hard, all tail feathers gone and don't know if any damage done to anus , looks horrible, i cleaned it with water/betadine solution and sprayed her with Vectercin i bought at the local feed store, do i take her to the vet??? is she ever gonna lay again ?? help

2. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Poor girl! She probably had difficulty laying that egg, and once she had a little blood there, they all noticed it and started pecking away at it.
    I would definitely separate her from the rest. Put her in a darkened space to try to slow down the egg cycle so she won't lay again until she has a little healing done. I would also give her vitamins and electrolytes in her water, and see if she is drinking. You might want to take her to the vet, but I hesitate at urging anyone to do so, because only you know if you can afford it. She may need antibiotics, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by