Help! My little BO is sick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dumluckcluck, Dec 2, 2012.

1. dumluckcluck

dumluckcluck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    We have three BO and three PR girls, all eight months old. One of the BO's, Sandy, has always been the smallest, always been bottom of pecking order. We finally figured out that she has vision problems after watching her peck at, and miss, food on the ground. She always seemed to get by, though, and laid eggs ( though small) along with the other girls. Yesterday, I noticed her standing off by herself, and she refused to come back to the coop at dusk. I picked her up and put her in. This morning, she never got off the perch inside the coop, and was lethargic. I witnessed her poop a watery, yellow poo, and her breathing seems labored. I separated her from the others into an adjoining fenced garden, and set out food and water, which she ignored. I even tried to give her water with a dropper, but had trouble getting her to accept it. I also cleaned all the pine shavings litter out of the coop floor, and replaced it with fresh litter. Any ideas on what could be wrong with our little girl? My heart is breaking!

2. collisinana

collisinana Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    She might have eaten something that maybe didn't settle right with her. Other than that, I'm not sure what it could be. She might have had a disease or neurological disorder that might be plaguing her. I'm into natural medicine, so I'm afraid I know nothing about antibiotics and drugs that other people might suggest that you give her. But Vitamin A might give her a boost and a bigger chance.

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Isolate her, bring her inside where it is warm. You can make a mash of layer crumbels/pellets and try to force feed her via syringe [no needle] also try to force feed vitamin enhanced water.
    Check her for: EGG BOUND. / external parasites / lumps or masses on her body / nasal discharge / raspy breathing / anything unusual.
    Is she skinny?

Yes she is sick, but what is it?

Check her over very carefully to see if you can find anything that might be causing her distress.
    There is a wealth of information here on BYC, but we need more info from you and your hen...LOL

4. dumluckcluck

Mar 6, 2012
    I have a sad update, my little Sandy just died........She wasn't eggbound, had no lice, no lumps anywhere. Isolated her, we're in Fla. where it's 80 today, so cold not a factor. Tried to give her water with a dropper, she seemed to gag on it. Anyway, she's gone and I'm crying....just hope it wasn't anything contagious, will be keeping a close eye on my other girls. Thank you for responding.

5. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Sometimes there are internal problems that us mere mortals just can't fix.....my heart goes out to you on your loss of Sandy......:hugs

6. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Sorry she didn't respond to treatment ... wondering, of her symptoms -- did her comb/wattles become dark red in color? Hate to press the issue when you're clearly upset by her loss, but this might be of importance for the rest of your flock.

7. dumluckcluck

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks for your sympathy.......no her wattles didn't turn dark, but her comb looked dried out and flopped to one side (dehydration?). I will keep a close eye on my flock for anything unusual. They all seem normal this morning.

8. BOrion

BOrion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    I am so very sorry. I have lost two and my heart broke as well. Seems silly over a chicken, but most all of us on here understand and cry over our loses. One thing I learned from this site, since I fed and watered mine for days and days with eye droppers, is that when the chicken's poop turns a bright neon green, the organs have shut down and its best to put her out of her misery. Just for future reference.

9. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Dehydration, perhaps, but may have just been a part of her passing. Hopefully, that'll be the last of your heartaches in this round ...

10. dumluckcluck

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks to all who replied.....If any one had told me a year ago that I would fall in love with chickens, I'd have never believed them. I rank them up there with dogs, cats, horses, goats, and all manner of God's creatures we hold in dear in our hearts. Losing Sandy hurt, but I'll never forget her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by