help my little chick has dried poo on his bum and cant poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by missfitfarm, Jun 29, 2007.

1. missfitfarm

missfitfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    how should i treat this i have been going out and gently wiping its bottom with a warm wet paper towel and trying to pick it off much to his dismay baby has dried poo around his bum i beleive from what i learned here this is called pasty butt i think he cannot poo because it is blocked what can i do to prevent it and what should i do to clean it off him i dont want to harm the baby and he chirps his little head off when im wiping it i know he needs to poo because when i clean it off it seems to be wet underneath help i dont want him to get sick he is the runt of the litter please help

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    The only thing I know of to do is to clean her off just as often as you physically can. It is usually a sign of stress during shipping. It should quit after a day or two. Maybe other folks can tell us more...

3. missfitfarm

Jun 26, 2007
    hi thank you for your help but it was not shipped the chicks hatched right here under their mom and she is taking great care of them i have been cleaning it off but not sure if there is any stuck inside any suggestions? is mineral oil safe to give it

4. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    According to the FAQ on mypetchicken.com, you can actually use a toothpick to gently dislodge a plug? I'd do it soon though because apparently this can be fatal if you leave it too long...

5. missfitfarm

Jun 26, 2007
    ok im not sure if there is a plug how would i go abouy checking? i far as i could tell it is just pasty when i cleaned it off a little wet poo came out but i few hours later its got dried poo on it again and i again cleaned it off

6. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Just keep cleaning with a wet cloth and maybe smear a little mineral oil around the vent so the poo dosn't stick so hard.

7. missfitfarm

Jun 26, 2007
    if i smear mineral oil around his vent will the others start pecking at him or will he be fine? i have also heard on thei site to give them a drop of mineral oil orally is this true and safe to do? im going to store soon to get mineral oil

8. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi,
    Use warm water and either stick its bumm under the water and rub the poo gently or you can use a very wet washcloth. But in my case, the running water worked well. It took about 8 mins or so to work the poo chunk off, but when the external poo comes off it should unblock the little guy.

Then you can rub a small amount of mineral oil on the rear. I never had a problem with them picking at mineral oil, but I know they will pick if you leave the hard poo ball on the rear.

Best wishes
    [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Generally I don't have a problem with chicks pecking at each other when they are that young. Picking on each other at any appreciable hurting ability doesnt really start till they are much stronger at a week or week and a half old. At a few days weak picks wont hurt anything. By the time picking can become a problem though, your pasty butt should be normal so I wouldnt worry about mineral oil on their bums.

10. missfitfarm

Jun 26, 2007
    [​IMG] thanks everyone i have been cleaning it off all day and there is none there at the moment but his bum is defenatly not fluffy like the others but he is eating and drinking and hopefuuly pooping he is the runt of the batch much smaller than the rest and just wants to stay under his mom no matter what she is doing i hope that is ok i wanted to put a little mineral oil on his but just in case. so is it safe to do so? ill keep you updated. is it normal for him to be so much smaller than the rest of them? we have named him Runt and my husband has taken to calling him half a chicken i do hope he will be ok he is so adorable

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by