HELP! My Little Duccle is sick/dying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SuburbSpurs, Jan 24, 2014.

1. SuburbSpurs

SuburbSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

My nearly-year-old D'uccle was found today with her head sticking outside the chicken house barely moving, yesterday she seemed fine and was running around with the rest of our flock. My sister told me that she was favoring one of her legs and slightly shaking last night when we locked them up.

Right now she is inside, lying on her belly with her neck and head on the floor, her neck is slightly crooked, its been that way for a while. I can't get her to eat or drink but I forced some Nutri-drench into her.When I pick her up she shakes a little and stands for a bit but she is acting lethargic and really freaking me out. I bought her at the feed store and they told me she was given vaccinations for mareks and newcastle Ect. I have no Idea what is wrong.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has she been near anything where there may be rotting vegetation, a rotting animal or fish carcass, or could had eaten some maggots? Botulism can cause similar symptoms. Usually it starts in the legs, and will progress ups\ward to the wings, and then to muscles in the neck where it is difficult to hold up the neck. Some times the 3rd eyelid or nictitating membrane is paralyzed and showing white. Poisoning could also be a possibility. Drinking is very important right now, and you may need to help her get the fluids she needs. If you suspect botulism, a molasses flush can be given. Here is some info on botulism: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism
    http://poultrymanagent.weebly.com/uploads/1/6/3/2/16324570/021.pdf

3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A molasses flush is 1/3 cup of molasses to 1 gallon of water or use a smaller amount of each. Give for 1 day. Epsom salt flsuh can also be used, but use caution with either of these since they are laxatives, and if the chicken does not have botulism, it may make things worse causing dehydration. Epsom salt flush: 1 tsp epsom salt in 1 ounce of water. Mareks disease was the other suggestion that I had. The vaccine isn't 100 % effective. Some chickens can still get symptoms.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Make sure she's in a warm room, like 80-85 degrees.

-Kathy

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  5. SuburbSpurs

She has survived the night, I she seems more active because her neck us up more but I don't know if she is better. I gave her two mouthfuls of egg and I flushed with the epsom salts. What should I do now?

6. SuburbSpurs

She is still lethargic but eating and drinking carefully on her own. Thank you so much. It seems to me that you have saved her life.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'd just keep her warm and keep making sure she's drinking and eating. Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes keep getting her to drink, since she may get a little dehydrated when the epsom salts kick in. I wouldn't give any more of the flush. Most of what I have read is that if they live 48 hours they should recover, but they will need supportive care. You will need to offer food and water very often. Keeping her in the house would be a very good idea so that you can check on her often. I have a mille fleur d'uccle pair that I'm very fond of. They are inseparable in my mixed flock. Hoping for a quick recovery for your girl. If you ever feel like she might need some tube feeding into her crop, there is plenty of info here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by