HELP! my little duckling... :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Duckles, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    I'm sorry if the answer to my question is already up somewhere but I couldn't find it. I received 11 ducklings in the mail this morning after about 2 1/2 days in the mail.

3 of them are Swedish and one is tiny and only one eye opens. He's very lethargic and tries to always sleep but the other more active ducks peck him and step on him and he wakes up and stands up then kind of wobbles and falls down and falls back to sleep. He doesn't make as much noise as the other ones and won't bother with the food or water. I know I should let nature take its course to some extent but if there is something I could do to help the little guy get strong I want to try [​IMG]

My fiance named him Patch because of his eye and I held him for a while so he could sleep and now I'm all attached hehe... please help! Thanks!

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Maybe try to add some electrolytes to his water and isolate him so he doesn't get picked on.
    He may be stressed from shipping or he may just be a weak little guy.
    Sure hope he bounces back for you-ducklings are adorable. [​IMG]

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    did you try to give him some sugar water with a medicine dropper maybe? I don't know. [​IMG] Hope all works out

4. Duckles

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    Thanks! I'll try the sugar water just to get something into his tummy. Any insight onto why one eye won't open?

5. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    I had a few crested rouens that had the same thing. 3 out of 20. I had heard it was a genetic malformation. They all died young (within 3 weeks) I am sad to say. I tried sugar water, separating them from the more rowdy ducks, and stroking their backs to stimulate them. They just never 'thrived'.

6. Duckles

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    Thanks for all the help... Patch didn't make it [​IMG]

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm sorry, Duckles. [​IMG]
    Sometimes, there is just nothing you can do, you tried your best.

8. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    I am sorry, Duckles. You gave him the best shot possible. Sometimes it just happens and there is nothing to do but make them comfy and let them know they are loved.

I heard it put really well in a book once. It said something like, "Where there is livestock, you can expect there will sometimes be dead stock." Sounds harsh, but it's the nature of the beast.

9. All-American-Chick

All-American-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Ramona
    My Coop
    hugs to you
    sorry to read about the little duck
    renee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by