HELP! my little duckling... :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckles, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    I'm sorry if the answer to my question is already up somewhere but I couldn't find it. I received 11 ducklings in the mail this morning after about 2 1/2 days in the mail.

3 of them are Swedish and one is tiny and only one eye opens. He's very lethargic and tries to always sleep but the other more active ducks peck him and step on him and he wakes up and stands up then kind of wobbles and falls down and falls back to sleep. He doesn't make as much noise as the other ones and won't bother with the food or water. I know I should let nature take its course to some extent but if there is something I could do to help the little guy get strong I want to try.

My fiance named him Patch because of his eye and I held him for a while so he could sleep and now I'm all attached hehe... please help! Thanks!

**I originally posted this in the emergency forum because I didn't know there was a Duck forum. Sorry for the redundancy. Also, now that I've looked at more photos online I realize that Patch is a Cayuga. Not that it matters really... So far its been suggested that I try sugar water (which my fiance will do on his lunch break) and also that this may be a genetic deformation. Any help would be appreciated.

2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    try giving him a little sugar water with a syringe. I would separate him from the other ducklings so he doesn't get trampled. make a mash with his food and see if you can help him eat and drink. Good luck!

3. Duckles

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    Thanks so much, we will definitely try all these suggestions now.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Awww, sorry to hear that about the little duckling. 2 1/2 days is a long time to be in transit and I agree with the sugar, separation, and keeping warm advice. Was he a hatchery duckling? You might want to contact them about this if the duckling dies.

5. Duckles

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    Yes I got him from efowl. The other ducklings all look great and I got an extra one in the order. My fiance just called me to tell me the little guy didn't make it. Should I worry about my other ducklings? It seemed to me he was born this way but this is my first time raising ducks...

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Sorry to hear about the little one.

I'm not an expert, but I have seen here on BYC where some people have lost a duckling or two just from the stress of shipping. He was probably fine when they picked him out, but just wasn't strong enough for the journey. So, I would just keep an eye out for anything weird with the other ones for now and make sure they're eating and warm. I would contact efowl for a refund for the one, though, or any more that might be having problems.

ETA: Some people suggest certain vitamins here, but I don't want to say anymore about that because I am not very knowledgeable about this.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There is a product called gro-gel that is suggested to be given within their first week of life. Some places put some in the travel box. That has vitamins and probiotics in it, if I recall correctly. I used some.

Also, there are poultry vitamins with eletrolytes and probiotics. Some people use unflavored pedialyte for electrolytes and watered down plain yogurt for probiotics.

Safe, warm, fresh water, mash - perhaps dampened but removed after 24 hours as it tends to get moldy. Prayers, lullabies, TLC.

Sometimes they do have an infection - but I'd go the vitamins and support route unless you find its droppings to be really really nasty, which may indicate an infection. I know, nasty is in the mind of the beholder sometimes. But sick bird poop is pretty icky.

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Being unable to open the eyes is a sign of dehydration in such a young duckling- getting fluids into it is very important. Being that it was a shipped duckling there could have beeen more than just dehydration wrong it it- and the fact that the others all travelled better is promising. Often defects dont show up for a while after hatching- one of the reasons that I dont sell day olds as a rule- but wait until they are at least 3-4 days old and getting established.

So sorry to hear you lost the little one- I agree with Amiga- that something like the Gro-gel might be appropriate if it wasnt provided in the shipping box. The gel or Vitamins added to the water for a week or two will help to get these others guys back on track. 2 1/2 days is way too long in transit - especially in colder weather.

Good luck with the others-

9. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    I agree with all of the suggestions. Metzer farms sells a product I am currently using called "Poult Pak" http://www.metzerfarms.com/BooksAndEquipment.cfm?CustID=229245&Category=Equipment
    I
    am currently using this for my ducklings (I bought the starter kit), and it help with stress from shipping, and it has vitamins in it. I highly recommend using it for your ducklings if you can, so it will relieve all of their stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by