Help! My little hen got injured!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by swkuntrygirl, Aug 1, 2014.

1. swkuntrygirl

swkuntrygirl Hatching

Mar 25, 2013
    Lookout Mtn., GA
    When I went out to feed this morning, one of my little sebright hens has been injured. Evidently something got a hold of her during the night. There are feathers all over. Her eye is bleeding and her little neck and face are really swollen. I'm pretty sure she's probably lost her eye. But I don't know how to help her. She can walk around but she is staying inside the coop. Any suggestions? Taking her to the vet is not an option. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would cage her and bring her in to watch. Be sure that your other birds are locked up and secure at night. Walk around and look for any holes, and patch them. Use some weak betadine or soap and water to clean around her eye. Vetericyn eye gel is good to use in the eye, but Neosporin ointment is good too. Sometimes the eyes can still be intact when the swelling goes down in a few days. Keep her quiet, and try to get her to take some electrolyte/vitamin water. When she feels like eating try wetting her feed, and give some chopped scrambled egg. A picture of her could help. Does she feel like she has air under the skin where it is swollen?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  3. swkuntrygirl

swkuntrygirl Hatching

Mar 25, 2013
    Lookout Mtn., GA
    Thanks so much! I haven't bothered her yet so i haven't felt her but it does look like there air under the skin. What does that mean?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: