1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! my lonely chick please

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mcamodell, Mar 14, 2012.

1. mcamodell

mcamodell New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    Surprise, AZ
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]I did a lot of research and then decided to start a hatch of quail.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]A few weeks ago I ordered 2 dozen jumbo quail eggs from ​
    fromthefarm.com
    and the experience was not good.

I have talked to a couple of others that hatch quail and they have told me I did nothing wrong, It was most likely due to having ordered them and bad luck shipping them.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]I had a few hatches but, I now have a single chick in my brooder and it is very lonely.[/FONT]​

[​IMG]

It is strong, healthy, very nicely colored and I would really like to keep it, but I feel very bad that it will be 17 more days before he has company.

If you have a few 2-3 week old chicks in Phoenix,AZ you can spare I would really like to buy them.
    I prefer jumbo's, either brown or white or mix.
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    best thing to do now is to put a small stuffed animal in there, he will nuzzle up to it so he won't be so lonely

3. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww....I have a bunch of 3 day old quail chicks. Wish I lived closer, I'd give him a brother.

4. mcamodell

mcamodell New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    Surprise, AZ
    I put a real feather duster in there,he seems to really like it,but still squawking a lonely tune half the day :(

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  5. romanmiller

romanmiller New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    Woodland, WA
    I am not in Phoenix, but I have 42 3 week old Jumbo Quail - all very healthy and thriving. They are 4.00 a piece or 6 for 20 + shipping and handling. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks!
    Marcie
    almighty.fowl@gmail.com
    360-901-1453

6. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    We had a lonely one for a couple of days. Seemed quote enamored of the hand mirror we put in for him/her.

7. mossypath

mossypath Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    ohio
    The feather duster is a good ideal. I don’t think I would have thought if that.

8. mcamodell

mcamodell New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    Surprise, AZ
    The mirror was a great idea, my chick thinks it's simply awesome!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  9. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    Thats great to hear! So cute. As an aside, the lonely quail had pecked at his departed littermates and when we put in another set of quail 3 days younger than him he didn't have the same issue. I'm thinking his temporary "companion" must have had lightning fast reflexes and intercepted every one of his pecks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by