Help! My Muscovies won't stay home!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by petitesphinx, Mar 30, 2009.

1. petitesphinx

petitesphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    We have a nice big pond, far off the road and our Muscovies were raised here. For the past month, they've been waddling through the woods into our neighbor's pond and ticking off our should-be-living-in-the-city-suburbs neighbors. "Ducks poo!" is what we hear. And we're like, no, really?!?! We "train" our ducks to leave our farm just to poop in your yard! haha.

Anyway, how do we keep them home without fencing in our whole property (too expensive)??

Now, they were taken to my friend's pond to see if they like her place better, but I sure miss my little ducks...well..HUGE ducks.

We have a pair of geese and runner ducks who stay home and they've all been raised together. And it's strange, we have 2-3 Muscovies who will stay home-the other 5 keep running off.

Thank you for any ideas!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Can you make them afraid to go down that path? Motion sensing sprinkler....plastic owls....barking dog on a chain... ??

3. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    2 ft. tall rabbit guard garden fence.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    hmmm you need to find a way to make them afraid of the path or the neighbor's as wifezilla suggested.

Good luck.

5. petitesphinx

petitesphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    It's funny they're not.

They go through one of our neighbor's yard (he sits outside drinking beer, shooting and yelling at his dog-THAT would scare me) and they walk a long way. I just don't get it. We put them in my neighbor & friend's pond on the other side of the cranky neighbor and they seem to stay there now. It breaks my heart that they left me, though!

Do you have sebastopol geese????? I am soo trying to find a pair. They are stunning!

Thank you guys, for the tips!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by