1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, my new Choclate Orpingtons are infested with lice/mites and I have already lost one. Its Only

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JodiLynn, Dec 21, 2012.

1. JodiLynn

JodiLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    I am heartbroken. My mom won 2 Chocolate Orp. Bantams on a rare breed website. I drove 2 hours so they wouldn't have to be shipped. They seemed fine maybe a little stressed. I got them home and quarantined them away from my own flock. This morning my chocolate roo was fluffed up and wouldn't move much. I have a hen as well along with 2 others that we won as well. As soon as I noticed an issue, I separated and treated with antibiotics in the water. 6 hours later and he was worse so I took him out and upon inspection he has either lice or mites (not sure which as I have never had this issue with my own flock). I ran to the feed store to get something for the mites/lice and when I got back he was dead. I have had them less than 2 hours. I bought lice duster thing for them from the store and wormer. I dusted the remaining 3 and their cage. I have been careful to change my cloths before tending to my own flock. Is there anything else I can do? I did not see their living condition but they came from a NPIP/AI clean reputable farm. I thought I did everything to ensure healthy birds. I emailed the breeder but have seen no response. Is there anything else I can do for the others? Is it possible that he died from the motes/lice. They are only 8 weeks old. Thanks for any help that anyone can give me on this.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Only in really bad infestations will chickens die from lice or mites. But it has happened. Unfortunately I don't know if this was the cause. I wrote an article on mites and lice and its in my signature if that might help with anything.

:hugs I'm so sorry for you loss and what you've been through.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. This little guy did have bloody poop this morning when I separated him. I am sure it was Cocci. The breeder responded and said this wasn't contagious and only affected chickens under 12 weeks? Can anyone verify this, I did get 3 others from him that I want to keep. I do not want to endanger my existing flock if it is something to worry about. Any advice on this?

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    It can affect chicks that are older if they are not immune and have not been on the ground and/or have kept strictly in a brooder. The other thing is that there are several different forms of cocci and if they are immune to one kind they aren't necessarily immune to all the other forms. It is usually normally present in dirt. So the dirt/parasites at the breeders house is different than the dirt/parasites at your house.
    It is very contagious. If you have chicks with bloody poop I would get them on Corid asap. It gets rid of all the cocci types. Sulmet doesn't.

1 person likes this.
  5. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    Where can I buy Corid?

6. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    I am calling TSC now to see if they have it in stock. These birds were Christmas presents and I do not want to loose anymore of them.

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I usually get it at TSC so they should prob have it.

8. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    I bought Corid and put it in their water and used an eyedropper to ensure the other chocolate orp, which seems slightly fluffed up, got some right away. Is 4 days long enough or ?

9. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    5-7 days is good.

10. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    Ok 5-7 days it is. The pullet seems better this morning, fingers crossed she is tough and pulls through. I do not see any blood in poop for the 3 that are left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by