1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help my new roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eldiablo, Mar 20, 2007.

1. eldiablo

eldiablo Out Of The Brooder

Well Yesterday I noticed my new roo(who is still a baby) had a puffy eye. Today I noticed that his poo was really runny and his eye is getting puffier. Has anyone seen this and should I take him to the vet? I bought some antibiotics called terra mycin at the feed store and they said to give him that. Oh and he also had a runny nose.

2. Wes in Tx

Wes in Tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    That is one of the weakest antibiotics on the market but it will work. Use it at the rate of 4 tsp per gallon of water.

Sounds like he has CRD. While on the antibiotics he also needs to be on probotics and you can feed plain active culture yogurt to take care of that.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Wes,
    What is CRD?

4. Wes in Tx

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    Carri

Chronic Respiratroy Disease caused normally by one of several Mycoplasma bacteria.

5. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
  6. eldiablo

Good thing I did what I did. today I went into the run and grabbed my little boy. His eye isn't swollen anymore and I haven't had a chance to see if his poo is runny. I am just glad he won't be losing his eye. Thanks wes for your input. Thanks to everyone else for the support y'all give to me and eachother.[​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Good to hear he's getting better!

8. Wes in Tx

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    Keep up those antibiotics for 10 days.

9. eldiablo

My babys are fine thanks wes [​IMG]

10. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Be sure to do like Wes says and run the full 10 days, you stop too soon and you are helping create bugs that our meds can't kill....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by