HELP! My new white Cochin, it's breathing oddly.

Posh Chickens

Songster
8 Years
Feb 24, 2011
West Midlands, UK
Hi,

I have just got a new white Cochin today, and it's neck is stretching every 10 minutes or so. It dosen't make any noise at all when it does this, but dosen't seemed harmed by it, any suggestions?

Rob

How old is the bird?
It could be gapeworm, respiratory infection of some kind? It could be a few different things.
Is it a hen? Do you have it isolated from your other birds since you just got it?

Could be an allergy type thing or the beginnings of an URI.
Is it when she's eating? I have one hen that seems like every time I pour new feed, she gets choked on the dust.
Keep her isolated and watch her for any other symptoms.
The odd breathing bothers me, but if that's all it is, it's really hard to say.
Good luck!

Is the comb pale? Have you check for any external parasites? I went to a local poultry auction once and bought a bantam hen for $3. I couldn't see her very well, so after I paid for her, I open the box and checked her better. She had stick fleas (the worst poultry fleas, they bury the head in the chicken skin and suck the blood). The hen was stretching her neck every few minutes like gasping for air. I got my money back and never took her home, but I heard that she died next day.

No actually, I bought her for £25 she is POL, a beautiful hen! (Large Fowl). She doesn't have fleas... And I got her from a poultry dealer. She is also quite shy, maybe its because she's new? Although she seems shy, she attacks her partner like ''Fight them Hens back!'' They have completed her pecking order, just waiting for the big brown one to sort out the pecking order, the brown one is younger, but bigger than the white one aha! I think it has some brahma in it.

Back
Top Bottom