Help ! My One dead one injured badly!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Amber Glover, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Amber Glover

Amber Glover New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    Westwood
    Last night something or someone got through the chicken wire and pulled two of the chickens out of their cage... One was hiding in the bushes with an injury on her chest the other one was in her group squawking and one was dead. We got attacked last night around 7 and I'm wondering what I can do for her chest it's pretty messed up she's gone matted blood and stuff I think I seen a piece of bone but I'm not a hundred percent she has a weird smell she's acting very lethargic which I would be too with that kind of pain do you think there's anything I can do to save her what can I put on there to help her heal I was with 3 chicks and now I'm down to 2 and I don't want to lose her too... Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Clean the wound best you can and spray it with an antibiotic/wound spray. Chickens heal very quickly if they are going to make it. If it doesn't start healing in a couple days you'd need to take her to the Vet or put her out of her misery.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am sorry for your loss. How old are your chickens?

I suggest using half inch hardware cloth around the base of the run and anywhere your chickens will be close to the fence. Chicken wire is for keeping chickens in, not for keeping predators out.

1 thing I can tell you is that wasn't a cat or dog attack and the predator will be back!

4. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Actually with those kinds of injuries, your best bet is a vet.....so they can give you antibiotics and such.
    In the meantime, I would give her a soak bath with warm water and wash off the blood, dirt and whatever...
    Then get some neosporin (without pain killers) and cover the wound, and wrap it....
    I'd re apply the neo, twice a day, with clean wrappings for a couple of days...
    Get some over the counter anti biotic for chickens and put it in water...
    put her in a quiet, safe. soft bedding, with food and the water.
    cook up some scrambled egg.....
    If you can afford it... take her to the vet...or call a vet and ask questions....

1 person likes this.
  5. Amber Glover

Amber Glover New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    Westwood

6. Amber Glover

Amber Glover New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    Westwood
    okay I will work on this... can I wrap it ? And triple antibiotic...

7. TCB Farms

TCB Farms Just Hatched

Jul 8, 2016
    Vista California
    so sorry, what got in and how?

1 person likes this.
  8. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

I would wrap the wound for a couple of days only-- air is beneficial to healing.
    Just keep her indoors so the flies can't get to the wound.
    Vetericyn spray is my go-to; it cleans wounds, treats infection and kills bacteria-- it is a great product to use.
    Get some Sav-A-Chick for her water as well.
    I am sorry for your loss and hope this one makes it through.
    Best wishes.

1 person likes this.
  9. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    yes I would wrap it... to keep out dirt and whatever.....
    keep it clean... =)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by