Help my pea eye

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by strawn28, Oct 17, 2016.

1. strawn28

strawn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2015
    Illinois
    Went out to do my night time feeding and my 1yr old male pea has swollen eye that's goopy. He is up eating drinking but his eye is awful. He is kinda coughing
    [​IMG]

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Your poor boy [​IMG] has a sinus infection. Can you take him to the vet?

3. strawn28

Jun 4, 2015
    Illinois
    Trying to tomorrow.... that explains a lot it.

4. new 2 pfowl

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    If you can't get to the vet soon, please check back in here. Some of our members have dealt with this problem and will be able to give you treatment advice.

5. Jackiep10

Jackiep10 New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    New to this so not sure how to start a new question. However, mine is somewhat similar. My white peacocks right eye is horribly swollen, so much so that he can't close his beak. He is not coughing or stuffed up sounding. I think maybe a non venomous snake bite that got infected. If I can catch him, can I give him a shot of penicillin?

6. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Jackiep10, at the top left-hand side of the Peafowl page there is a blue button that says 'start a new topic', press that button and start a new thread so you don't step on someone else's thread.

Now to answer your question, it is common for peafowl to get respiratory infections that are caused by either cocci, worms or e-coli. Most people will give one ml of Tylan per day for up to three days. If that doesn't work you will need to look at taking the bird to a vet.

It would be helpful to have up close pics of the bird for us to look at. See if you can get some and post in your new thread along with the questions you have.

2 people like this.
  7. strawn28

Jun 4, 2015
    Illinois
    Got him to vet... he is taking antibiotics [​IMG] He did so well apparently the vet bores him he fell asleep [​IMG] waiting [​IMG]

8. new 2 pfowl

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Oh, very good news! Keep us posted about his recovery.

9. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I hesitate to tell you this, but if your bird was sleeping it is very, very sick. What antibiotic are you giving and how much/often? Did they run a fecal float exam to determine if it has cocci or worms?

10. strawn28

Jun 4, 2015
    Illinois
    No he was all clean ran all test. He is super laid back since he was a chick rub his head and he goes to sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by