Help, My pekin duckling is so fat he can't swim!(pics)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckchick2011, May 16, 2011.

1. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    LOL, I had to post this.

My big ol' fat duckling is so fat his butt sinks in the water! The other smaller ducklings just float about paddling as they please, he stands on the bottom his big old fat head and chest sticking out.(I love this duckling, calling him fat is term of endearment [​IMG] )

I don't over feed him, he just seems to be a naturally hefty duck. He certainly tries to swim, but his butt and tail are always under the water. Its funny and kinda troubling at the same time.

Will he out grow this really awkward stage? I mean, the poor thing makes a slapping sound when he walks [​IMG]

When he gets his full adult suit of feathers will his bouyancey pick up? Or am I doing something really wrong here and this seemingly funny spectacle is actually a bad sign?

( I mean it really is funny, he really is a fat duckling and he has always been a little awkward, especially now that his white plumage is starting to shine through, he is now dubbed patchy until further notice [​IMG] )

(His real name is Duncan [​IMG] )

(I will post a pic one of these days, I really love this duck )

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Quote:DuckChick-This made me laugh too:lau I wanna see a pic. of Patchy so bad now!
    Thanks for the laugh,
    T.

3. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Don't worry, I should have a pic up by tomorrow morning...I might even post a video on youtube. [​IMG]

He just seems so put out by the fact that the other ducklings float and he doesn't. [​IMG]

He will try to paddle about for a while but eventually he just gives up and stands up (in water much too deep for the other ducklings to stand in I might add) Not that a photo will ever do his facial expression justice, LOL

4. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:oh please please pleaseeeeee
    It sounds soooo funny

5. duckymommyyy

duckymommyyy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    awww! I wanna see too! how cute! I would laugh too! He would be my favorite! lol

6. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Here are the pics of my big luvable duckling, [​IMG]

Believe it or not he seems to be finally getting the hang of it, swimming much better with the addition of some new white fluffy feathers, but he's still much clumsier in the water than my mallards, [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Don't worry--once he has his adult feathers & his oil gland is working, he'll float great. [​IMG] He's just a chunky guy, and needs a little help at this stage. He'll get there though.

And he's adorable!

8. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Quote:THAT IS TOOOOO FUNNY!
    I can see the look in his eyes-"great mom had the camera out so the WHOLE world's gonna know!" LOL
    Thanks for sharing,
    T.

9. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    Awww! he is way to cute! I love chubby animals because they are so fun to watch [​IMG] He will get the hang of it when his big boy feathers and oil come in. But for right now enjoy the cunkers because they grow up far to fast.

10. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Awwwwww look at him half sunk!! CUTE!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by