Help-my pekin ducks are stuck across my frozen pond

ronna jozef

Songster
Dec 14, 2017
I have 8 pekin ducks that were abandoned at my pond last summer
I quickly found out as much as i could and feed them - made a house for them but they do not go in it -- and it is not even winter here for another 2 weeks strange cold coming in from canada
THEY ARE STUCK ACROSS THE POND AND IT IS FROZEN AROUND THEM - NOT GOING TO GET WARM FOR ANOTHER 48 HOURS SO UPSET

Usually, they are moving just enough so that the ice doesn't form around them. Happened with my ducks. They somehow knew something is not right, when they were in small puddles of water and around them, there was fresh ice. They tried walking on it, but it wouldn't hold, they were like icebreakers. I LOL-ed a little. They did not return into the pond that day and remained outside during the colder nights. They waited for me to break the ice in the morning though, and happily swim with ice all around them. I was scared they would get hurt that way, ice plates were quite thick and large! They managed just OK.

I know in the wild, they can get locked up in ice occasionally. I think they should be ok, if you feed them. Then, when warmer weather arrives, I'm sure the area around them will melt fast. They will then be able to break free. I would not feel safe to break the ice around them. Could harm their feet. Perhaps I'd just use the chainsaw or something to get them out and bring them somewhere warm, so that the ice would melt.

Poor ducks!

Please post a pic if you can- I want to see this
FullSizeRender.jpg

Hi
Thats a photo of them - to far in pond to see them - the Humane Society Came and got down by them - they all are there and seem -- ok they are keeping that small area unfrozen and have some bush to hide in at night -- just major anxiety- temps are warming so it should be anyday they can swim back -
Thanks for your concern -- just say a prayer!!

Usually, they are moving just enough so that the ice doesn't form around them. Happened with my ducks. They somehow knew something is not right, when they were in small puddles of water and around them, there was fresh ice. They tried walking on it, but it wouldn't hold, they were like icebreakers. I LOL-ed a little. They did not return into the pond that day and remained outside during the colder nights. They waited for me to break the ice in the morning though, and happily swim with ice all around them. I was scared they would get hurt that way, ice plates were quite thick and large! They managed just OK.

I know in the wild, they can get locked up in ice occasionally. I think they should be ok, if you feed them. Then, when warmer weather arrives, I'm sure the area around them will melt fast. They will then be able to break free. I would not feel safe to break the ice around them. Could harm their feet. Perhaps I'd just use the chainsaw or something to get them out and bring them somewhere warm, so that the ice would melt.

Poor ducks!
Thank you --

Back
Top Bottom