Help! My polish hen could not walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wackychicken, Feb 19, 2013.

1. wackychicken

wackychicken New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    My polish hen who was 8 months old all the sudden couldn't walk. I had noticed a few days before this happened she was laying down a lot but when I would go into the pen she would get up. Then when I went in there in the morning (5 days ago) she couldn't walk at all or even stand on one leg. She seemed almost paralyzed and would lay there in the shavings with her face down and her wings out and would rock a bit back and forth in a effort to get up. When I would pick her up one leg just dangled there and would be stretched out in front of her when she was laying down like it was dislocated and was also cold to touch like there was no circulation. I felt so bad for her and it was breaking my heart to watch her struggle so I culled her last night but was wondering if anyone could tell me what it may have been. She would eat and drink if I held her in front of her food/water and even laid an egg a few days ago. She was on high quality food and was kept in an indoor pen for the winter with clean bedding/water plus good ventilation. She had no other symptoms and was a good weight. She was kept in a pen with a rooster and he is very healthy and not showing any signs of illness. Thanks for your help

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. wackychicken

wackychicken New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Oh and I should also mention that I did try to give her calcium and didn't see any changes

3. MsLisaG

MsLisaG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Northern California
    It sounds like it could be Marek's. Do you know if she was vaccinated? This is a good bit of info on Marek's here: animalscience.ucdavis.edu/avian/mareks2.pdf

Lisa

4. wackychicken

wackychicken New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    I will check it out. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by