Help!! My poor girl passed laat night

ssorourke

Hatching
Oct 30, 2015
Hello, I am new to chickens. we got 2 from a friend a few months ago. They were healthy and laying beautiful eggs. 3days ago 1 hen started to seem ill. She was just standing in the yard drinking from a puddle. She would not move though. And I would find her sleeping on her feet at the puddle. Next day same thing plus she was having some loose poops. I cleaned up their coop have her fresh water. She went into the coop early last night And this morning she had already passed. Does anyone know what could have been wrong with her ? My concern now is will my other chicken get sick? And Will she be ok by herself?

Hello, I am new to chickens. we got 2 from a friend a few months ago. They were healthy and laying beautiful eggs. 3days ago 1 hen started to seem ill. She was just standing in the yard drinking from a puddle. She would not move though. And I would find her sleeping on her feet at the puddle. Next day same thing plus she was having some loose poops. I cleaned up their coop have her fresh water. She went into the coop early last night And this morning she had already passed. Does anyone know what could have been wrong with her ? My concern now is will my other chicken get sick? And Will she be ok by herself?

I'm so sorry for your loss! I know it may be too late, but if you haven't already buried her, you might be able to get a necropsy done. If you haven't buried her, put her in the fridge until you are ready to send her for necropsy. There are several good threads on here about where and how to send them. Many universities will do it for free or a small fee. That way, if it was something contagious, you will know how to treat your other hen.

As for the other hen, she will get very lonely by herself but she will be alright for a little while. I wouldn't rush out right away and get another one though. You should wait at least a week or so and if she is still fine, then try to find another hen around her age to keep her company. Then you should keep the new hen in quarantine for at least a month. And quarantine means no contact, so they can't just be separated by a fence or chicken wire, they should be in totally different air spaces and you should change clothes/wash hands in between visits.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom