Help! My pullet cannot flap her wings or use the stairs to the coop.

nzkiwiqt

Hatching
Jun 4, 2016
Littleton, CO
Hello, I am new to Backyard Chickens. About 2 months ago we got four pullets about 2-3 weeks old (our first chickens ever). One of the pullets, a Red Sex Link, has always been a little "off" and she can't go up or down the stairs to the coop (she will just fall off). Also, she can't seem to flap her wings. The other girls will flap their wings and fly around a bit but she cannot do that. She does use her wings like gliders when she is trying to walk fast. She is so sweet and adorable. She eats and drinks and has been growing along with the rest of them. We are trying to figure out what to do with her and it breaks my heart to think about getting rid of her. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Is it worth taking her to the vet? She's been this way the entire time we've had her. Also, sometimes she will get pushed over and land somewhat on her back with her wing underneath her and she cannot seem to get herself out of this position. I really appreciate any feedback. Thank you so much!

Welcome to BYC.
Can you post a video of her, photos may be helpful.
Just to clarify, she is about 2 months old now and has been like this when you got her at 2-3 wks old?
What type of food/treats does she eat?
Do you know if she was vaccinated?
Suspecting a developmental/neurological disorder, could possibly a nutritional deficiency or illness.
You can offer her some poultry vitamins like Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell to see if there is any improvement.

Thank you for the reply! You are correct that Ethel is about 2 months old now and she has shown similar symptoms since we got her when she was 1-2 weeks. She was not vaccinated. She eats starter food from the feed supply store - I think it's Purina brand. She gets mealworms once in a while but she isn't super interested in them. Here is a video of her from today. This is the only way she uses her wings...like gliders to help her walk fast. She never flaps them! She is completely unable to get up or down the coop stairs, although she looks like she wants to! I will get her some vitamins to try. Please let me know if you have any other feedback. Thank you!!
0.jpg

Thanks for the video.
Is she holding her head a little "off center" only when she walks or does it look like that all the time?

Start her on the vitamins either one I mentioned above these both have E and Selenium in them as well. Wandering if she is suffering from wry or crook neck, but with her age and she's been like this most of her life, I'm not sure...

Back
Top Bottom