pitbullmomma

Free Ranging
6 Years
Apr 30, 2017
...unapologetic Jersey Girl...
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all,

8 month old Mille Fleur D'Uccle pullet. Very happy healthy and active up till now.

Not sure if she is laying yet--don't think she is, have her in a coop/run with 8 other pullets.

Came home from work today and her comb is purple Feet look normal. She was out in the run wth the other chickens and seems normal behavior.

It has been freezing here lately in NJ, daytime temps in the 20's, nightime temps in the teens since about Christmas. My coop is not heated, it is well insulated, and all my 14 chickens have been staying outside except for my two broodies.

She just ate some warm watered-down oatmeal with Nutridrench mixed in. She is acting fine and is vocal.

Does this seem like frostbite? I will post a ic of her comb in a sec. THanks much!!!!

IMG_1971.JPG

This isn't agreat picture. It looks more purple (kind ofo mottled, not just the tips) throughout. It's normally a big juicy orange color. My other single combed ladies have normal appearing combs. I've been applying Vaseline to her and my Ayam Cemani roo, but not every day.

I’d have to see a pic for sure but a chicken with a large comb or waddle is more at risk than others. Usually when I’ve seen frostbite it’s been black spots on the tips of combs.

Purple combs usually mean something is wrong with the respiratory system. Is her breathing loud or strained?

from the picture it appears she may have some mild frostbite. Vaseline is definitely a good choice. I would probably watch her over the next few days and try to keep her warm.

Her breathing, attitude, talkiness, andappetite all appear fine. It's just the comb.

From what I've read and seen of frostbite, usually the tips are purple. This is the whole comb. Of course, it's my favoite chicken (Flower).

This is what she normally looks like.

Attachments

• flowerhead.jpg
    flowerhead.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 6
Any other ideas? It's very strange. Her comb looks the same today. More of a cyanotic look than frostbite. Still, she is acting and looking totally normal otherwise. Eating, talky, poop normal. No respiratory signs.

I put her in a hospital cage in the garage with my broody. It's about 50 in there, compared to the blizzard we are currently having outside.

Read through the forum, my Damerow health book, and the Symptom Checker. Everything I've seen points more to circulatory problems than frostbite, but she is acting and looking fine otherwise.

Any ideas? This is my first year with chickens, so I am still learning a lot.

Thanks~

Back
Top Bottom