Help! My pullet's foot is broken!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by daisy06, Sep 28, 2012.

1. daisy06

daisy06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    I think my pullet's foot is broken. She was walking in a very awkward fashion. She would walk with all the toes on one foot bent back under her foot. It hurts her when she walks, I put a splint on the toe I think is broken, but now I think its more than the one toe. What do I do???[​IMG]

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    if its just her toe theres nothing you can do, let her rest in a small corner or room. you can give her half aspirin for pain. it will take a while for them to heal. I had one and it took three weeks for her to get better

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
  4. daisy06

Feb 26, 2012
    I looked at it. It's more than just a toe I think. She would drag her foot as she walks. :(

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I'm sorry it seems like her foot has been affected. [​IMG]
    Is there somewhere you can put her for a few weeks where she would be fairly confined, to minimize her walking while it heals? If you are able to confine her, that would probably help quite a bit with the foot healing as well as possible.
    If you put her in a confined area & it is far away from the other chickens, before re-integrating her, see if you can put her visually close to the other chickens for a few days to help them accept her back better. You might also put out a few obstacles for her to run around or duck under when you first put her back in (though be sure not to create any corners or dead-ends where another bird could block her in & attack her).
    Wishing for the best [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  6. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I recently heard of another with Vitamin B deficiency. They were still eating medicated feed. The medication is a vitamin B inhibitor so evidently this other pullet was somehow deficient even though the rest weren't. Vitamins in the water cleared it right up.

8. daisy06

Feb 26, 2012
    Thanks guys, she seems to be getting better. I do believe it was a broken foot because she was literally dragging it. Now, though, she is really getting better. Thanks!

9. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I am glad to hear thats she is getting better ![​IMG]

10. daisy06

Feb 26, 2012
    She's gotten worse. I can now see what's broken. It's her leg. She can only sit in a split! I have her separated, but right now I feel like there's nothing I can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by