Help my Reds re being mean to my Buff/Giant Cochin

BuffsAndReds

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 3, 2014
We had 2 RR hens, 2 BO hens and 1 BO Roo. We lost one BO to a Hawk. We called her mama cause she helped keep everyone in line. Our other Buff seemed to stay by her self. So, we decide to by another hen but could not find a full breed Buff anywhere near us. We seen this cute little Buff/Giant Cochin mix. We brought her home and our Roo took to her but our hens seem to just go out of there way to pick on her. I know they have to figure out pecking order but this seems almost over board. She is a little small than the others. Hoping for some suggestions.

I'd probsbly remove the reds from the flock for a week or so -- out of sight and hearing. Hopefully they will be like newcomers when returned, and find temselves at the bottom of the pecking order.

Other approaches to help the reintegration: Hanging cabbage or flock blocks or siilar, nre items ot jump on, hide in or under, roost on, etc. Asl a second feedwater station, away from the first. And increase the amount of sace they ahve to forage and mix with each other if at all possible.

Further resding, if you wish:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/803815/integrating-two-groups/0_20

Back
Top Bottom