1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP MY RHODE ISLAND RED HAS BEEN ATTACKED BY A HAWK IM DESPERATE HAS A PALE FACE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fabfarm, Nov 2, 2013.

1. fabfarm

fabfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    my rhode island red was attacked by a hawk just moments ago her face and comb are very pale she was just laying there while her coop mates fled....[​IMG]..I don't know what to do I have never dealt with this before I am really worried I don't have the money right now to take her to the vet or else I would have. my brother saw it happen and got it off of her but when we got to her she had possible internal bleeding and a cut on her neck and around her eyes.[​IMG].. it breaks my heart and im praying for her but she doesn't seem in good shape please someone help me who has experience with this kind of stuff!!!!!

2. BettyBlueSilkie

BettyBlueSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    WA
    buy "Roster Booster" and rub it on any cuts that's what I suggest to many people on BYC it saved my chickens life when she almost died

3. BettyBlueSilkie

BettyBlueSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    WA
    BYC rocks!!!!!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  4. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    I checked on her this morning and things aren't looking good.....her eye on her left side is blinded on her right her ear has been cut up and her other eye has a scratch going across it and can only open it a little bit. she can't close her beak all the way so im having to tube feed and drink her. I am hoping she'll pull through but are these injures ever going to get better any suggestions on how I can help her she is really friendly and always has been one of my favorites so i'm hoping she will live.[​IMG]

5. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    at least she is out of shock and will stand on her own two feet.[​IMG]it really makes me angry [​IMG]when wild animals do this and I heard this sort of thing isn't uncommon.

6. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    I tried to introducer to her flock just to see if she would go to the food or water no luck she just got pecked at so I picked her up and brought her inside.

7. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    Best thing to do is cleanse the wounds with warm water pat dry and apply some neosporin without pain relief on any wounds,keep her inside in a warm dark area for a couple of days offer her some electrolytes and give her a scrambled egg to see if that will encourage her to eat. Also wild animals are what they are wild.....so you can not fault the hawk for trying to grab a chicken for a meal. Best thing to do is to predator proof against the wild animals that you know are in your area. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't have hawks circling my back acre I would not add her back to the flock until she mostly healed also put some blue kote on her wounds before adding her back if not the others will see the scabs and start to peck her to death not because they are being mean but chickens are omnivores and meat tastes good to them. I have dealt with several wounded birds and by doing what I said I have saved many a chooks life! Patience and time. Best of luck and feel free to pm me if you have questions.

8. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    Thank you very much but I do have one question will her beak every heal she can't eat on her own

9. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    does the beak have any visible breaks in it? Because the beak is like fingernails it takes time but they will regrow. I have a sultan rooster who broke his beak and it took time but grew back Could you possibly get a picture? That way I can see and try to help a little better

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

No, it's not uncommon. Predators are a constant threat that chickens owners must deal with every day. Chickens are bottom of the food chain and wild animals do not know the difference between a rat, gopher, wild bird or other wild prey and your chickens. They have to survive and when they see a chance for a meal they will take it. All you can do is make your pens as predator proof as possible. Obviously birds of prey are very hard to guard against unless you keep your birds totally confined and in a covered run. It's a risk we all take if we let our birds out at all.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by