HELP! My Rhode Island sounds hoarse!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 5cutechicks, Nov 3, 2014.

1. 5cutechicks

5cutechicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    Lowell Michigan
    HELP! My Rhode Island is hoarse!
    Noticed Friday my sweet chicken didnt sound like herself, she's hoarse! She sounds like she's loosing her voice. She has no other symptoms, still laying, eating and her poo seems normal. She seems to have always been a big eater so she has stuff in her crop which seems nice and soft. I'm so worried about her. I just put pine shaving in her chicken run, wondered if she could have scratched her throat by eating some with her food, if that's even possible. I put her on duramycin (Friday night) and she still is sounding funny. She's not sounding worse and has no other symptoms. I put some vet rx under her wings and in her water just to see if it helps. I'm new to the whole chicken world and just want to be sure I'm doing this correctly. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

I know my Rhode Island/Production Reds are very, very loud, and always hoarse sounding. It would not surprise me if they just strained themselves from all the squalling.

3. 5cutechicks

Aug 22, 2014
    Lowell Michigan
    I had no idea that could happen! Thank you so much. I've been so worried that she might be sick, I checked on her tonight and she is sounding a little bit better. Guess she doesn't need meds. So much to learn about these silly chickens! Thanks again for your help[​IMG]

4. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    If she is otherwiseright then I wonld ignor it and just think that it is normal, I knew a rooster who cowldn't make any sound so I thonk thet it cowld be normal or only tenpurary

5. 5cutechicks

Aug 22, 2014
    Lowell Michigan
    I sure hope its nothing, we live in michigan and the weathers been warm and then it got super cold, I thought maybe it was a cold. Hopefully tomorrow morning when I check on her she will be clucking like she normally does! Thank you!

6. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    okay good

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by