Help - My RIR appears to be injured

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DataVamp, Nov 12, 2013.

1. DataVamp

DataVamp New Egg

Apr 25, 2013
    I have a mini flock of 4 pullet RIR in a chicken tractor in my back yard. I came home today to find one lying on the ground looking almost dead. She is still alive as she opened her eyes (barely) when I picked her up to inspect her. I didn't see any injuries to her. There's no blood or missing feathers. Nothing that i can pinpoint what is wrong. I'm afraid she may have hurt her neck, but this is my first flock and I'm not at all experience in diagnosing what may be wrong. Any help about what it could be or what to look for to get a better idea of what's going on would be helpful. Pls help. I don't want to put her down if I can avoid it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Heidisgran

Heidisgran Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Burleson Texas
    My Coop
    have you been able to inspect her poop?

3. Heidisgran

May 30, 2013
    Burleson Texas
    My Coop

4. DataVamp

DataVamp New Egg

Apr 25, 2013
    Not specifically hers. She's not blocked up though. I was able to inspect her vent. The picture was taken almost immediately when I got home and she hasn't changed much.

5. DataVamp

DataVamp New Egg

Apr 25, 2013
    I brought her back inside and placed her in the brooder they were in before moving to the yard. She's currently with the heat lamp on her. Her head seems to be favoring one side. I'm actually afraid she may have hurt her neck somehow.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  6. Heidisgran

May 30, 2013
    Burleson Texas
    My Coop
    it's hard to say
    do you have any vitamins...liquid drench or even baby vitamins...give her a drop in her beak
    have you inspected her crop? has it food in it or does it feel spongy? or is it empty?
    her vent isn't blocked?
    you didn't notice any blood in to poo?

7. DataVamp

DataVamp New Egg

Apr 25, 2013
    Thank you everyone for your quick replies. Unfortunately she didn't make it. It's kind of a tough blow since this is my family's first flock and we raised Henrietta since she hatched (almost 3 months ago.

8. Heidisgran

May 30, 2013
    Burleson Texas
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry[​IMG]
    I kind of knew that was coming by the picture...been there too many times
    it's so hard when we can't figure out why...I've had that happen too many times too!!
    inspect your others tomorrow for any of the above symptoms...and let us know!

9. DataVamp

DataVamp New Egg

Apr 25, 2013
    I kind of knew it was coming also. I was just hoping that maybe I was off base. The others seem a little freaked out. They've been puffed up since I got home. I'll be keeping a close eye on them tonight, but I'm thinking it was more of a neck injury than an illness.

Thank you all again for your help

10. Heidisgran

May 30, 2013
    Burleson Texas
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by