Help, my roo does not like his wife's new dress!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Robin'sBrood, May 7, 2009.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

Got saddles for my hens today and as soon as I put one on my Black Australorp my roo started chasing her all around the run! He chased and pecked her until she was panting. Then she came over to me (for protection?) so I took it back off. Also, he started crowing when I put it on and WON'T STOP, even though that was a good 15 minutes ago. [​IMG]
    She really needs a saddle, his spurs are starting to scratch her and she is losing feathers on her back. Will he get used to seeing her in pink? Can I Dremmel his spurs? [​IMG]

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Eek! He is asserting his manhood big time! Is there any way you can separate him from the flock but can still see the girls until they and him get used to their saddles?

Such a brute!

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    You should be able to twist them off with a pair of pliers. They will grow back but it will take a while.

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Maybe he wants a dress of his own. I trimmed my roo's spurs with my goat hoof clippers.

5. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:That's it, he's jealous! [​IMG] Or maybe he doesn't like polka dots. [​IMG]

Wouldn't twisting the spurs off hurt him? Sounds painful. Hmm, I don't have any goat hoof clippers, since I don't have a goat. [​IMG]

6. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:No, I don't have a way to separate him. And if I did, I think he would crow nonstop and drive me (and my neighbors) nuts. I don't know what to do. [​IMG]

7. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    You can twist the spur off. I just use my fingers. It doesn't hurt them. I'm not sure if y'all are familiar with antelope, but their antlers are just a shell, just like a spur. That's all it is. When you pull it off, the quick is still attached. It's actually much safer than trimming, as trimming there is a good possibility of cutting the quick. If you pull it off, it may bleed a little, but it won't hurt him at all.

8. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I've never heard of twisting the spurs off. Would it be best to wait until evening and do it while he is calm due to the darkness, then put him to bed afterwards? He's never been aggressive towards anyone and I sure don't want to tick him off and have him start flogging us!

I think putting that saddle dress on his girl ticked him off enough today. [​IMG]

9. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Who says twisting spurs off doesn't hurt?! It's the same thing as ripping a fingernail off! The "quick" is still left, but it bleeds and hurts like crazy! Sometimes it's a necessary evil, but don't go around thinking they can't feel it!

10. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Think I'll pass on twisting the spurs off. OUCH!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by