1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help- my rooster chick has an injured bloody eye!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ButtercupFarm, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ButtercupFarm

ButtercupFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    We have 3ish month old chicks that are free ranging and just discovered one of them has an injured eye. Freshly bleeding and I'm guessing will loose the eye. Is there anything we can do to help him? Wash it off/out? Should we separate him from others (he hangs out with his same age chickens)

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Yes you need to separate him, until it stops bleeding and until you can make sure he will not get picked on.
    Go get some sterile saline solution (any pharmacy or TSC has it)....Flush the eye out the best you can....Then put antibiotic eye ointment in it....Try to keep it clean an dry (easier said then done,,,that is why you need to keep him separated)....Flush it TWICE a day and put new ointment on......He most likely will not be able to see out of it again, (depending on the damage)....but hopefully it will prevent total eye loss and infection.

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. ButtercupFarm

ButtercupFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Thank you! He is now separated and we cleaned things as best we could and put antibiotic ointment on it and we'll check him in the morning... I have a feeling the eye is either very damaged of missing... We aren't sure what happened to him, we've had a feral cat around and wonder if he scratched it or if the chick poked it on something...

Chara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by