HELP....MY ROOSTER HAS A BROKEN TOP BEAK

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HOTONE, Feb 15, 2012.

1. HOTONE

HOTONE Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Peachland North Carolina
    MY ROOSTER HAS THE TOP BEAK BROKEN OFF. NOT ALL THE WAY BUT HIS LOWER BEAK IS QUITE LONGER. HE ISNT ABLE TO PECK THE GROUND DUE TO THE LOWER BEING A LOT LONGER. CAN I CUT THE LOWER PORTION BACK TO MATCH THE TOP AND HOW DO I DO THIS....THANK YOU

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Yes you can cut the lower portion. Cut with something like wire cutters so lower portion is roughly same length as upper. Expect a little bleeding. Be careful not to cut bone supporting lower portion. Process will like need to be repeated every year or so. He will be ready to eat immediately after proceedure completed.

1 person likes this.
  3. HOTONE

Feb 15, 2012
    Peachland North Carolina
    sorry i am not very smart about chicken beaks but how far does the bone go?

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Give me 30 minutes to figure out.

5. HOTONE

Feb 15, 2012
    Peachland North Carolina
    thank you very much!!!!

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    [​IMG]

Somebody was going to do it to you (above) so may as well be me.

Had to look at multiple images on internet while looking at rooster that keeps walking on keyboard but think I figured out how to explain what is going on and how to decribe it.

Look at beak from side. You will notice it does not form a straight line. At some point beyond where nasal openings are located the lower edge turns gently upwards. Just beyond that bone (mandible) ends. It is OK for lower mandible to extend a little beyond the upper part of beak. Bird will still be able to feed. Now that you posted a couple times, you should be able to post a picture. Do so I can mark point to make cut and repost it.

7. HOTONE

Feb 15, 2012
    Peachland North Carolina
    Thank you for the welcome. I will have to catch him and get a pic. It will take a couple of days due to the fact we are getting rain for the tomorrow and most likely thru the weekend. Can I get up with you when i get the pic...you have been such a help

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

I will try to be handy. Get him tamed. This bugger named Speach has been standing on my desk for most of our exchange. He also tried to attack his image on screen and clean bill on keyboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by