Help, my rooster has been having his mouth open for a day and his wattles are turning black.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenboyx5, Jan 9, 2015.

1. chickenboyx5

chickenboyx5 New Egg

Jan 9, 2015
    His basically my pet and since yesterday his had his mouth wide open and his wattles were turning red and now are starting to turn black.

His about 8 months old I've been feeding him Good quality feed and water. For the winter I've put one of those heating lambs I bought from a pet store in his house.

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Please post a picture if you can.

Frostbite is a very common occurrence, especially in single combed breeds.

Since he's gasping, though, I would say he's got some circulatory issues or has contracted a disease.

Some disorders that can cause comb discoloration include: Heart problems/poor circulation, injury to the comb (causing scabs), frostbite, the dry form of Fowl Pox, Fowl Cholera, Chronic Respiratory Disease, Bluecomb, and Avian Influenza.

Without a pictures, it's difficult to say.

How long have you had him? Where did he come from? Does he have access to free-range and/or other birds?

As much info as you can give would help us help you!

MrsB

3. chickenboyx5

chickenboyx5 New Egg

Jan 9, 2015
    I just have two chickens a hen and a rooster
    I've had them for 8 months and there usually in there coop but I let them go outside 4 times a day for a couple of hours.

http://imgur.com/KjK5gja
    http://imgur.com/43bWAjc

I don't know if you can tell but the ends of his wattles are turing black. Should I turn on there heat light?

4. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Do you live where the temp gets down to sub-zero? You could try putting a little petroleum jelly (Vaseline, Aquaphor) on his comb to prevent frostbite. I hear it may help.

Chickens can handle temps well into the negatives. -30° seems to be the breaking point for most breeds. I might offer a little heat if your roo seems affected by it.

Keep in mind that white light will mess with their circadian rhythm. Use a red brooder light.... or better yet, a wall-mounted heat emitter. Less of a fire hazard.

Have you noticed any wheezing, nasal discharge, bubbly eyes, funny odor, or change in poops?

MrsB

5. chickenboyx5

chickenboyx5 New Egg

Jan 9, 2015
    Not normally but from another post on another fourm. Most people saying it was frost bite and that I should enclosure there house better so that the wind dosnt hit them hard. Anyways thanks for the Advice I will try the vasoline

6. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Putting a tarp up can help your birds keep their warmth in greatly. Make sure you are properly venting their coop, though.... Trapping humidity in a coop (chickens aspirate quite impressively) with the addition of freezing temps can lead to disaster. Leave a little space for excess to vent out at the very top. :)

As long as a roosting chicken can get out of the wind, they're pretty cold hardy. :) Try the jelly on the combs. Some people say it doesn't do a thing.... some people swear by it. If nothing else, you'll help him against dry skin.

MrsB

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by