1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help! My rooster is acting funny!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleMoon, Nov 5, 2011.

1. LittleMoon

LittleMoon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    My plymoth rock roo Stripey is making weird noises. He has him mouth gaped open, then only closed for a moment, then he opens again while making a weird noise. Like a choking, coughing like noise. What can I do? i tried pouring some water into his mouth, is something stuck in his throat? It sounds like loud coughing/bawking. Is it just hiccups?? Do chickens get those. Please help!

2. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Google gapeworm or try to feel if there is something stuck in his throat. Don't pour water in his mouth again, he could aspirate.

3. LittleMoon

LittleMoon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    earlier his cough sounded like a donkey bray, if that helps.

How much is it to take him to vet? my mom will fuss, we dont have any money at all [​IMG] what do i do?

Do i stick my finger down is throat? Im not experience with this stuff, i dont know if ill hurt him or not.

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Mine have done that before. I think they had a feather or something in their throat. They still ate and drank though. Just keep an eye on him. Make sure he eats and drinks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by