HELP! MY ROOSTER IS ATTACKING MY DUCKS!

paddling_pekins

Chirping
Jun 3, 2019
Hi,
I have two female pekin crosses that are just over a year old and two khaki capmbell females who are 8 weeks. They all live together happily at the moment however in the past, before the khakis, my pekins and my lone hybrid cockerel lived together in the main run. They all got along until he turned around 3 months old when he started to pick on my larger female. He never went for the smaller one (she must be more dominant) always the same duck. It got to the stage where she was limping and bleeding, so I separated him from them and put him in a separate run. When I put the younger ones in with my ducks I tried again to put him in with them, but he went straight for the babies then the older female and I was scared he would do serious damage.
I thought this might be something to do with the lack of hens, so I am getting two next weekend. I really hope that they might fix the issue as it could distract him? I just want them to all live together, and if they can't then I would have to be another run. Anyone know what to do?

Some roosters just can’t be with any other birds not of their own species. What breed of chicken do you have? You may have to separate for good even when you bring in hens. Is he trying to mate with the ducks? Chickens especially roosters can do serious damage to eyes and faces of ducks so next time you try them all together once the hens come do it while being there and supervising.

Some roosters just can’t be with any other birds not of their own species. What breed of chicken do you have? You may have to separate for good even when you bring in hens. Is he trying to mate with the ducks? Chickens especially roosters can do serious damage to eyes and faces of ducks so next time you try them all together once the hens come do it while being there and supervising.
I have no idea breed wise, I rescued him from a friends dinner table a while ago, thats how I ended up with a cockerel in the first place... :) Would a picture help?
If there is any danger of him hurting my ducks I won't risk it - they are all very precious to me!
Thanks for replying!

Update! I just let him out to free room in the garden when he went up to the duck run - not unusual he is always trying to get in, but he started to do a weird dancing thing in front of my little ones (a little research shows this is a mating dance or something?) Maybe he is just missing some hen company? :D
I managed to get in on video but I'm pretty sure its just dancing haha

Yes he will be protective but they can learn to get along. I have 4 Rooster from 10 Years to 4 months they all forage together from daylight till late afternoon everyone gets along fine. Oldest roo is head one picks on the ducks. When I say picks I mean if they are eating he makes them leave, doesn’t injure anyone. Oldest is well respected among the flock. And he respects the 2 geese.

Last edited:
For breed you’d be better off going to the thread what breed is this. I have chickens but there are so many breeds out there. But post a pic here too someone may know even me

I had the opposite of this problem...Drake going after chickens, not to mate with them, just charging at them and biting their tail feathers. He has to be penned separately from them at night now, during the day they just run away from him. I would definitely look into separate living quarters for the two...it's only going to get worse I'm afraid.

From raising chickens and ducks together before, the rooster just sees them as hens He can't hurt them trying to mate them like a drake would a chicken hen.do you know how old he is, young cockerels are a challenge. I would keep him penned away from the ducks and see about getting him a few hens not chicks if you have a secure place for them.
He is around 4 months old now I think. I will keep them separate I wouldn't risk harm to my duckies! Thanks for your help!

From raising chickens and ducks together before, the rooster just sees them as hens He can't hurt them trying to mate them like a drake would a chicken hen.do you know how old he is, young cockerels are a challenge. I would keep him penned away from the ducks and see about getting him a few hens not chicks if you have a secure place for them.

They are so cocky at that age! Thankfully I have 2 geese that keep my roosters in line. They are the only one my game roo respects the other 3 Bantam roos mind their own business. My ducks respect my game roo and he is much smaller than any of them.

Back
Top Bottom