HELP! My Rooster is bloodied badly.....

katyoh7

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 26, 2013
I have 19 chickens, 13 hens and 6 roosters. So far all of my roosters get along. My biggest (he's huge, Angelo) is a white sex link, the rest are old English game chickens and are 6 months old. They have fought but Angelo is always the one who calls the shots. Anyway, his comb, his face, and wattles are badly cut and he's got blood on his neck feathers. I checked the other boys to see if they are damage at all and they don't have a scratch on them (neither do the hens). Could something have attacked him and should I catch him to wash him up and treat him? Thank you!

Also, I live on 3 acres out in the country. It is all fenced. They free range but they have coops and trees and places to hide.

I would try catching him to see how bad (or not) his injuries are. Sounds like my hen a few days ago when she had it out with a hawk. Torn comb and wattles, scratched eye and scratched belly. My chihuahua got to them and scared off the hawk before it could do any serious damage, but that could be your culprit. Hawks like chicken meat :(

Sounds like a predator. Most likely aerial predator. Sounds like your boy was doing his job protecting the flock. Gosh I love Roosters. Clean him up and look him over. It could all be superficial scratches and stuff and just needs cleaning and antibiotic ointment. Angelo is a hero today!
wink.png

Thank you both for helping. I've cleaned him up, he looks much better. It wasn't as bad as it looked. Thanks, again!

Back
Top Bottom