Help my Rooster is not horny enough.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dansoy, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Dansoy

Dansoy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2015
    Hi all.

Well my Rooster is around 1 year+ and a real gentleman.
    My 3 hen's start laying eggs now and I want all the eggs to be fertilized for chicks.
    My rooster is from the Phillipines and a good boy but when he approach a girl for sex, he doesn't really go for it!
    He takes a step into her direction with hes big body and raised neck feathers but when the girl moves away he stops also.
    He always takes 1 move but does not ..you know.. continue and really have sex..

Is there anything I can do to make my rooster really go for it?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hi, I just want to follow because i am having the same thing happen with my rooster and had one once before that was like that.

3. Dansoy

Dansoy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2015
    By the way, my roo does know ''how'' to do it.
    And hes the leader of the flock, respected by all. but if the girls dont actually sit for it.. its not happening.

Oh okidoki

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG]
    this is my guy, a Swedish flower hen rooster.[​IMG]
    and this is spazz, (RIP) i called him my gay rooster.

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    In my opinion that is a GOOD rooster. Much better than roosters that are always grabbing and going at it no matter if the hen wants it or not.

The step and hackle raise you see is him asking the hen if they want to mate. The hens stepping away are saying 'not right now'. If the hens sit down, he will immediately step on and finish it.

Most hens will sit down if they are about to lay eggs or are laying eggs. They do not need to be bred very often for good fertility. Under normal situations and if birds are healthy, a single, one time only mating will give you fertile eggs for two weeks. So you see, they do not need to be mated several times every day.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Dansoy: Have you checked your eggs for fertility? Perhaps your roo and hens are just shy around you!

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Rooster Booster ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by