HELP!!! My Rooster is setting down with his head back and moving it from side to side - not focused.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chouteaugal, Jan 5, 2013.

1. chouteaugal

chouteaugal New Egg

Jan 5, 2013
    Just seperated him 2 days ago, moving him into a chicken tractor by himself. He was one of 2 roosters with 18 hens. The hens were being roughed up too much. I kept him in a cage overnight then yesterday moved him out to the house. Last night when I went to put him up, he didn't get on the roost, but stayed on the ground. He also hadn't touched his food. This morning, he was crouched in the corner, so I lifted him up onto the ground and he kinda fell backwards, kinda off balance with his head rolled back and moving it from side to side. after an hour or two, we brought a hen to him. He's holding his head up now and looks alert, but is still setting in the same place and isn't drinking or eating the food/water I put beside him.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    It sounds like he could have wry neck maybe. You may want to do a search on it to read up on the symptoms and see if it fits what you observe. Are there any treats he likes. just getting him to eat or drink something would be helpful. What breed is he? Wry neck is more common with Polish or Silkie chickens.

3. chouteaugal

chouteaugal New Egg

Jan 5, 2013
    My rooster is a Wellborne. I am going to try to entice him to eat. He is holding his head up normally right now and is focused. He even stood up for a few minutes, but is back setting. Stayed in the SAME spot ALL DAY.

4. suebgbr

suebgbr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    i took pictures and asked about it in a thread called 'is this stargazing'
    have a look at the pics to see if yours is doing the same thing.
    if he is, it is a vitamin b1 deficiency. i gave mine scrambled egg, dried herbs, sunflower seeds and sprinkled brewers yeast on it. i believe you guys have something called vitasol

5. chouteaugal

chouteaugal New Egg

Jan 5, 2013
    They are fed laying crumbles, oyster shells, scratch grains fresh veggie scraps and are allowed to free range most of the day. Only this rooster that I just seperated from the flock is showing any signs of problems.

6. chouteaugal

chouteaugal New Egg

Jan 5, 2013
    Thought you might like an update. He's a happy, healthy rooster. We put a hen with the rooster and gave him electrolyte solution for poultry. He finally held his head right a few hours after we added the hen although he stayed in about a 6ft square area for several days - not even going in to roost. Several times a day, I would offer him bread and corn (he wouldn't touch anything else) and dip his beak in water as that seemed to encourage him to drink. On days he ventured outside, I would pick him up and return him to the coop at night. After about a week, he finally started acting normal and has been fine since then. Still not sure what happened - shock maybe? Anyway, thank you for your help. I really appreciated the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by