HELP - MY ROOSTER IS SICK - Thank You!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roostersandhens, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Hello all! My beloved rooster Bumblebee isn't doing great. He turned 1 in January. He doesn't have contact to other roosters. He is breathing very heavily.. When he tries to crow or speak in any way he just can't. I will try to get a video. He isn't exactly struggling to breathe.. At least he is trying to crow and talk. He just physically can't :( The poor guy. I can take him to the vet if necessary. Thank you for your time, all help is appreciated.

PS: when he crows, it almost sounds like loud air in the tune of his crow.. Could he have a respiratory problem? Thanks, I will do ANYTHING to save him!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It could be respiratory. How is your ventilation? What is the bedding?

No seriously, describe the ventilation in detail.

3. Okay. This could be the problem then. He is on dirt. It is somewhat dusty... I have him in the house now.. No bedding. I could put some sort of bedding down is needed to cover all access to dirt. Thanks again for your time.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Unless on wire, they always need bedding. Some people out your way use a deep layer of sand. Most use pine shavings, which I prefer.

You still didn't describe ventilation. Along with quality food and clean water, that is the most important thing in animal husbandry.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  5. Okay, I will start putting pine shavings in with the coops on dirt. Do you know if my rooster will be okay?

6. Here is a short video of him right now
    [​IMG]

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm not psychic but he looks active so will probably recover.
    Treatment will depend on what is actually affecting him.

You still haven't described coop ventilation.

8. I am not exactly sure how to describe his coop ventilation.. I am taking him to the vet later...

9. I change his water a lot... And his food should be fine. I feed him layer pellets..

10. I just put pine shavings into all the coops with dirt. It took 2 large bags, and I ran out and need to get and bother bag (I have one more coop to do). The air in those coops is so much fresher! The chickens will be very happy. So thank you @ChickenCanoe . Bumblebee will be taken to the vet in an hour to get looked at!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by