Bad news here. I caught my RIR Rooster just as he was about to finish swallowing a rather LONG piece of string (that I have NO idea how it got into their run though I try to be careful about these kinds of things). I moved so quick that he started to fight me, and while a good length of the string came out during the initial grab, it got stuck, and between him fighting back and me trying to get the rest out before he swallowed it all, Heaven forbid, the string came out all of a sudden... but so did his tongue! I am just SICK about this! I try SO hard to take such good care of our brood so I feel just AWFUL! He sat down for a moment and was very still as I was in shock, digging his tongue out from the wad of string, and after a minute or two, he got up again like nothing happened. I brought over his water dispenser to have him take a drink, and as he did, a little blood spilled out into the water. I coaxed him into having another drink, and there was no further blood spill. I was able to look into his beak, and sure enough, only the very back portion of his tongue remains and at the front of his beak were some tidbits of food that had yet to make it into his throat (because he didn't have a tongue to pass them along). I did feed him a small, green shoot which he ingested well enough, so I THINK he'll still be able to eat. Can ANYONE here let me know what to expect from him in the near future? He's four-months old and nearly full size, it seems. Again, I feel just AWFUL, so ANY guidance would be helpful. Thanks!